Thursday 6 October 2016

No Stress

So it is pretty much halfway through the semester. To be honest, I'm still kind of in summer mode. I know, not good. I see my friends stressing out because of midterms and all the work they have due for their classes. Weird thing is... I haven't even had ONE exam yet. My very first exam for the semester is on Monday, October 10. And it's pretty much just on vocabulary words in my literature class. I was thinking my third year of college would be difficult, but it's not like that at all. Not that I'm complaining, of course. I'm enjoying the stress-free semester.

To top things off, my professor basically gave us all the answers for our exam in a sense. On Wednesday, my literature professor had an exam review for us. I believe exam reviews are exceptionally important for students. Good teachers let their students know exactly which contents they should study. Giving students a generalized idea of the exam without any specification of what to study causes them to be frantic and stress more than they should. Students who are not given study guides for tests and exams will cram as much information as they can, resulting in lower grades due to anxiety and less sleep. Trust me, I've gone through some really rough teachers in the past. Students will not learn much that way. Having an exam review with students will help them understand the concepts more rather than them struggling to "memorize" what they need to pass.

When I become a teacher in the future, I will be sure to keep this in mind. After all, teachers should want their students to be challenged, but to also succeed. I will not just throw my future students in the battle field by themselves, but guide them through so they can survive and get something from the experience.

1 comment:

  1. Test content should never be a surprise. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete