Wednesday 16 November 2016

Starting somewhere...

I may have already mentioned this but I am a Secondary Education major with an emphasis on the subject area of Art. And although it is completely irrelevant to what I want to do in my life, I have been in the Food & Beverage industry since I graduated high school. I am currently a server at a local restaurant, and I absolutely love it. It's a family business that I'm proud to feel I am a part of. With working as a server, I meet new people every single day and quite frankly, it's a great opportunity to network with people.

I'm aware I have quite the talent with art. People always compliment my works and I guess it's "amazing" to them. However, I've always, in a way, doubted myself. I've always been afraid in the back of my mind to do what I love as a living because of the heated competition to other amazing artists and great works. I may not be the best, but my bosses at work have seen my work. They had given me the amazing opportunity (along with another coworker of mine who is just as talented) to do some art on our wall. And although it was a bit difficult to do this on a large scale at our restaurant, after completing some designs and taking a step back, I realize the ending reward is worth the stress and fear of judgment. Like, "Did I really just do that?" is an example of what I say more than half the time with all my works. 

This is my second time my work has been on display for other people to see. The first time was a couple of years ago in high school and my painting was chosen to be displayed at the courthouse. But seeing my art in public always gave me that encouragement and push I need to continue my journey. And this is the reason why I generally want to be an art teacher. I want to encourage students to express themselves and push them towards their creativity, I want them realize things don't have to be perfect for them to be proud of what they create.

No comments:

Post a Comment